We all love being on the internet. We love streaming, scrolling, liking, sharing and posting. Each and every part of our lives, every nook and corner, is connected to the internet. We are constantly connected to the online world and spend the better part of our day on the web. With the emergence of the trend of ‘binge watching’ and updating your feed constantly, there is a new modern day problem called ‘throttling’. And the one which we are going to talk about is internet throttling.
What is throttling internet?
Internet throttling or Bandwidth throttling is basically an intentional slowing of the user’s internet service done by the user’s Internet service provider (ISP). Network throttling is usually done to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion over a network.
Internet throttling has been around since a long time now and was earlier done only when it was absolutely unavoidable. In earlier times, this did not affect the user so much but now that we are streaming in 4k and constantly downloading stuff from the internet, our bandwidth consumption has increased. The Internet Service Providers are failing at keeping up with the speed and bandwidth requirements and are using network throttling. ISP throttling is unfair and unjust to the customers as they pay the full amount to get internet access and still their internet speed is cut down.
Is my internet being throttled? How to tell if your internet is being throttled by your ISP?
The common users usually can’t prove that speed throttling is being used against them by their Internet Service Provider and there is very little they can do about it. However, something called an ISP throttling test exists. It is the easiest way to determine if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is throttling your internet speed. An ISP throttling test is done by installing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and measuring the speed of your internet again. If your internet has a much faster speed with a VPN being installed in your device and slower without it, your ISP is throttling your internet service.
How to do an internet throttling test?
Are you thinking “is my ISP throttling?” Do not worry as we have listed a step by step guide for you to perform an internet throttling test for your internet services:
- Visit Google’s measurement lab at www.measurementlab.net
- Click on “test your internet connection’
- Choose a network tool and perform network traffic diagnosis
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the test
Note: You can also visit www.eff.org to test your internet speed in the similar way
How to stop internet throttling and how to speed up throttled data?
Wondering how to stop ISP throttling? There are certain steps that you can take to stop data throttling on you device:
- Use a VPN that can disable internet throttling automatically: There are vpns available on the internet which can nullify speed throttling :
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN’s plugin is one of the fastest vpns to bypass throttling android in the market. It does not keep a log of your browser history and is fast and reliable. Also, it works on multiple platforms and is user friendly for multiple operating systems.
- NordVPN: NordVPN is an ultra-fast proxy vpn to prevent the throttle internet speed that encrypts your browser data and hides your IP address thereby keeping you completely anonymous online. It is User-friendly for PC, Mac, iOS & Android (with ad-blocker) and Works with Netflix, BBC iplayer. It offers P2P & torrenting on multiple servers.
- Switch to a different ISP: If you do not want to use a VPN you can switch to a different Internet Service Provider that can help you speed up you internet speed and you do not have to worry about how to stop data throttling.
- Now, avoid using free vpns or free proxy: It is even easier for your ISP to monitor your online activities and throttle your data speed if you’re using a proxy. Thus we recommend to not use one.
- Refresh your router and use a wired connection
- Find yourself the fastest server and then turn on the automatic reconnect feature on the app
VPN Pros and Cons
There are pros and cons to everything and similar is the case of VPNs:
Check out the VPN pros:
- High end encryption
- Geographical freedom of accessing content
- Safer downloads
- Protecting of online data
Check out the VPN cons:
- Lower speeds of internet servers
- High costs of vpns
- Security loopholes
- Click bait/hoax vpn providers