Public Wi-Fi networks are present almost everywhere. From our offices to homes to public spaces and even during normal commutation, we can find an array of open Public Wifi networks available. There are millions of unsecured public Wifi networks around the world and they are only multiplying manifold with each passing day.
It is difficult to keep track of which ones are legitimate and which ones are not and thus one should never overlook the safety measures while browsing the internet on a public WiFi. Although public Wifi networks are extremely convenient, one should never get their guard down.
What are the dangers of public WiFi?
An unsafe Wi-Fi network is identified by any ‘open’ network that does not require you to put any password or any login credential to use it. These networks have no encryption, and the people using it are easy targets for hackers. Any data that is put online using this network can be easily accessed and thus the users are at great risk. The hackers can steal your login passwords, bank details and other personal details like your location, your browsing history, your files and photos etc. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to using public WiFi:
- Hacking/Snooping: Hackers or snoopers can get access to unsecured Wi-Fi networks and can collect personal details or sensitive login information of the people using that WiFi.
- Man-in-the-Middle Attacks: Man-in-the-middle attack is when a malicious actor sneaks in the communication between two people’s conversation. The malicious hinderer can gain access to information being exchanged – all without the first two parties knowing.
- Malware: Unsecured Wi-Fi networks can act as a tool to inject malware into devices connected to the public network.
- Fake Networks: These are fake hotspots set up by criminals in order to trick users into connecting to that open WiFi so that they can steal your data.
Using public WiFi the right way:
There are multiple ways by which you can keep your online data safe while using a public Wi-Fi:
- Use a VPN
- Use SSL connections
- Turn off sharing
- Keep Wi-Fi off when not in use
- Think before connecting
Wondering which VPN to use for a public wifi?
We have compiled a list of the best vpn public wifi for you to choose from:
- IPVanish: IPVanish has a really efficient iOS app and an excellent performance in terms of a vpn public wifi . It is consistent in delivering great performance and improved our download speed by around 15% over long distances, with even faster results in the shorter distance. It provides access to more than 1200 servers in more than 60 countries and allows you to connect over ten devices to these servers. IPVanish is a great software for torrenting on public wifi. When we reviewed it, we found no No IP / DNS / WebRTC leaks. It is user-friendly. IPVanish delivers fast, unrestricted Internet access to every part of the world.
- PrivateVPN: PrivateVPN is one of the fastest growing VPN software and has secured a rank in the list of the best vpn public wifi. Private VPN is fast, safe and surprisingly cheap. It, however, has no VPN extensions and a smaller server network.
How to hide other wifi networks
In order to hide the different WiFi networks around that you don’t want to see, you can simply go to the ‘Network and sharing’ centre or ‘Wifi’ menu in your device and select a Wifi. You can click on ‘Forget’ to remove that WiFi from appearing in the list.